I was talking to my mom one Friday morning on my way into work and she mentioned that the Blue Angels were flying that weekend and that Grandma and Grandpa were coming down so they planned to take the boat up to Baltimore to see them fly. As I was sitting at work I kept getting this nagging feeling that I needed to be there. It was Father’s Day, too, and it just seemed right. One major problem: I was sitting at work at 10am on Friday with no plane tickets, nothing packed and hadn’t mentioned anything to my family. So I called John and told him about my crazy idea of taking Sean up for the weekend. Whatever I could pack I would pack and just buy anything else I needed when we got there. I don’t think he believed that I’d actually do it (I wasn’t sure I would either) but we did agree that it was too fast of a trip to take Dylan so John said he would stay home with the baby and I would take Sean with me. I have to say that leaving John on Father’s Day was almost a game changer but he really is awesome and was supportive of my crazy idea (as usual). So but the time I worked all that out, it was 4pm before I logged onto make a plane reservation and was lucky enough to find a flight that evening at a reasonable price. I decided not to tell anyone I was coming because I never do things like this and it just added to the drama :)
So, I raced home from work, got home around 5:15, packed and was out the door at 6:15! Sean was excited and did a great job on the plane (he didn’t stop talking about all the things he was seeing – it was so cute) and I pride myself on taking both of us, our suitcases plus a car seat and getting it in the cab without much hassle. Needless to say, we ended up on my parent’s doorstep close to 10pm on Friday night. There were no lights on and I started to get scared thinking a) they’re not home and the cab is gone. perfect. b) they’re all in bed and now we’re going to wake everyone up. So I rang the bell which goes to their phone (I know, fancy) and I saw my mom get up and go to answer it. I told her it was a special delivery which she wasn’t buying and before long I thought she was going to call the cops on us! Finally my dad came closer and told mom she better open the door. They were SO SURPRISED to see me and Sean standing there!
To make a long story short (too late) we had a great weekend! Sean was a fabulous traveler and it was exciting to be able to just pick up and go with him. Once Dylan gets a little older there’s no telling whose front stoops we might end up on… so look out!
No comments:
Post a Comment