Anyone who has been to our house over the past month and half knows about our baby birds –
I’ve been a bit “enthusiastic” about it, you could say. A very nice Carolina Wren couple decided to entrust our Geraniums with their modest (yet effective) nest made of all sorts of random things. They thought they were pretty smart building their nest up on our deck where the wind and rain couldn’t get to them, but that was before the weather got really nice and we started spending more time outside. But I think they got used to us, and perhaps even liked the fire table and weekend movie nights :) Let me tell you, my motherly instincts sure kicked in with these little fellas, and when they actually hatched I was so excited I didn’t know what to do with myself. I’m proud to say that (as far as we know) we helped raise 6 fine looking baby wrens who are undoubtedly having a grand time dive bombing Polly and pooping on our cars. haha. Here are some pictures I took over the past month…
April 2nd – 5 eggs! (when we first noticed the nest there were only 3 eggs)
April 3rd – Mommy Bird sitting in the nest, likely getting ready to lay another egg (it’s hard to see her but you can make out her left eye and tail if you look closely)
April 4th – 6 eggs!
April 6th & 8th – No major changes
April 8th – a picture through my bathroom window of Mommy bird laying on the nest. For about a week she sat tight almost all day and night.
April 20th – BABIES! They can’t be more than a day or two old here. They hatch with no feathers and are blind.
April 22nd – Feed us! [~4 days old]
April 25th – Starting to get some feathers [~7 days old]
April 27th – Getting bigger [~9 days old]
April 28th – Mommy or Daddy bird leaving after feeding the babies
April 29th – My last picture. Look how they’re perfectly placed 3x3 [~11 days old]
We think they left the nest around May 1st which would have made them about 13 days old (they typically leave around 12 to 14 days and are said to do so quickly). Carolina Wrens mate for life and stay together even when they’re not breeding. I’ll tell you, after watching the Mom and Dad I’m convinced that every new parent on this planet says to their mate “What were we thinking?? All they do is eat and eat! I’m exhausted!” Those parents were busy…
But it’s all worth it in the end. Here’s to the newest additions of our extended Ward family!
No comments:
Post a Comment